The CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion database contains annual CO2 emissions from fuel combustion and related indicators for 190 countries plus regional aggregates.
Emissions were calculated using IEA energy databases and the default methods and emission factors given in the 2006 GLs for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories.
This edition includes annual data for 190 countries/regions, generally from 1960 (OECD) and from 1971 (Non-OECD), unless specified differently at the country level.
The 2020 edition includes complete time series of CO2 emissions from fuel combustion by source and sector for all countries and regions up to the year 2018, based on the 2020 IEA World energy balances.
With the objective to provide users with more timely and more comprehensive high-quality information, with the 2020 release the database was also expanded to include estimates of:
- Emissions from fuel combustion for the latest year (2019) for all OECD countries and regions, India and China;
- Emissions from electricity and heat production for the latest year (2019) for over seventy-five countries;
- Total and sectoral emissions for a complementary set of over sixty countries based on additional sources;
- Fugitive emissions of carbon dioxide and methane by country based on IEA information;
- Emissions from fuel combustion starting in 1751 for the world and selected regions.
Expanded product description
For carbon emissions by end use please see the Energy Efficiency Indicators database.
Important note: the CO2 emission factors from electricity generation are no longer included in the USB/data service.
They are sold as a separate product entitled Emissions Factors
Note on multi-user licences (apart from the global corporate licences): Users must be individuals working at the Customer's place of business.
Please note that your use of IEA data is subject to the IEA Terms and Conditions
In particular, external dissemination of any IEA data, including within software or other tools, requires specific permission and may be subject to an additional licence fee.
Please contact us at DataSales@iea.org if you have any questions on the terms.
To order the CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion online data service, which offers an update of the data three times a year with a progressively broader geographical coverage, and find further information on this and other data services, please consult the IEA online data services portal