Please read the information below before purchasing:
Single user or multi user?
Single and multi-user licences can be purchased directly online. These licences are exclusively for a single company or group and do not allow you to do work with third parties or put the data in a model for which the derived data would be visible or available to third parties (see below). A single user licence is appropriate as long as only one person can access or view the data. If other users were able to view even the results of the calculations in a shared internal tool then you would need a licence to reflect all the users – if they are worldwide then a global licence would be needed (EUR 3850).
We would therefore expect all multinationals to purchase the global licence.
Note on multi-user licences: (apart from the global corporate licences): Users must be individuals working at the Customer's place of business.
Please note that your use of the data is subject to our Terms and conditions.
Do I need a contract or permission?
If you are doing work for clients, i.e. third parties, e.g. calculating or verifying their carbon footprint you need to enter into a separate Agreement and pay a fee as this usage is not permitted under our standard terms and conditions.
If you intend to use the data in any type of modelling for the purpose of creating derived data or derived products, and any services to distribute or display such derived products you need to sign an Agreement and pay a fee.
If you intend to have such usage, or have questions please contact email@example.com
The IEA reserves the right to check the customer's compliance with the terms and conditions.
New!! (11 September 2020): Release of 2020 edition
Note: This product was formerly included in the CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion online data service.
The Emissions Factors (2020 edition) includes the following indicators related to emissions from electricity and heat generation:
- CO2 emission factors from electricity and heat generation for world countries (in CO2 per kWh, 1990 to 2018).
- CO2 emission factors from electricity only generation (CHP electricity included) for world countries (in CO2 per kWh,1990 to 2018).
- Latest year emission factors for OECD countries and selected non-OECD countries based on provisional electricity generation data (in CO2 per kWh, 2019).
- Correction factors for CO2 emissions induced by electricity losses in the grid (in CO2 per kWh,1990 to 2018).
- Correction factors for CO2 emissions induced by electricity trade for OECD countries (in CO2 per kWh,1990 to 2018).
- CH4 and N2O emission factors from electricity generation (in CO2eq per kWh,1990 to 2018).
- Emission factors for fuel consumption in other sectors than electricity and heat production (in CO2 per kg of fuel).
- With the objective to increase the geographical coverage of the statistical information provided, the IEA has included in the 2020 edition CO2 emission factors for electricity and heat generation for a complementary set of over sixty countries until 2017.
The methodology documentation and content description is available here.
The 2021 edition of this service will be released in September 2021.